Brown Harris Stevens | Established 1837

Homepage

Marine Park

Marine Park, Brooklyn is a public park located in the borough of Brooklyn in New York City. Its 798 acres (3.2 km²) surround the westernmost inlet of Jamaica Bay. Most of the land for Marine Park, Brooklyn was donated to New York City to be turned into public park land by the Whitney family in 1920 and by Frederick B. Pratt and Alfred T. White, who jointly donated 150 acres (0.61 km2) in 1917. The land donated consists of the area between the current day Fillmore Avenue and Gerritsen Avenue and East 38th Street. Originally almost two thousand acres (8 km²), over half of which has been donated to the National Park Service as part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, the park is mainly a fertile salt marsh which is supplied with freshwater from Gerritsen Creek.

Return to List of Neighborhoods